Sunday, October 7, 2007

Knit, Laugh, & Free Yarn Besides!

I went to see Kristina Wong in "Wong Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" last night at La Pena Cultural Center in Berkeley. I took my granddaughter with me. She was too young for the adult content of the humor which just went over her head. She was, however, entertained by Ms. Wong's action, and had lots of questions which is good. I thoroughly enjoyed the play and was warmed to see someone, anyone, who is willing to discuss mental health out in the open. Her interpretation of the trying to get help without insurance was right on point. A pathetic statement for this country's health system. It was also refreshing to see her give kudos to knitters like she did. Knitting was alive and well in the audience and she gave away free yarn to all the knitters. (I got a nice ball of blue cotton that will make a nice face cloth.) I try to keep a good stash of those available for gifts with handmade soap. It was well worth the cost of the ticket. Check to see if she is coming to your "neck of the woods" and have a great night out with your knitting buddies. www.kristinawong.com

With all the Fall issues of knitting magazines out now it is making it difficult to stay focused on my current project and not want to queue another six or seven projects. I am really trying very hard to finish all the UFO's and destash but it is hard when you open up Knitter's and see Jade Empire. This is the first cardigan that I have seen in a long time that I wanted to cast on immediately. I also was really intrigued by the Ruffled Fichu and I have never been interested in knitting lace because I like end product satisfaction in a short period of time. I have seen several patterns that my girls would jump at like the short cropped hoodie in knit.1 and the Trench Coat is very appealing as well.

I had a little time to kill before the performance so I dashed into Joann's to pick up some fabric for Halloween costumes that we are working on, and I found 6 skeins of Joann's Bellezza Collection, Tesoro, in pale mint for $2.37 a skein. What a deal for 100% wool. I see that it is in a lot of stashes, on Ravelry, so I hope that might mean that it is at least worth knitting. I am thinking that it would be enough for the Cloud Bolero that I would like to do for one of the girls for Christmas.

I finished my second pair of Fetching. I think I will just start stashing these away as well, for the upcoming rash of birthday and Christmas presents I will be needing. They are very popular among the teenage set.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my site the other day--just thought I'd let you know that I've posted a link for the bread recipe. Have fun baking!